Increase Intimacy Through Physical Touch Outside of Sex
Read time: approximately 8 minutes.
You might also be interested in these topics:
- Importance of Physical Affection in a Healthy Relationship
- What is Intimacy in a Relationship
- Enhance Your Relationship with Emotional Intimacy
- How important is Sex in a Healthy Relationship
How to Increase Intimacy Through Physical Touch and Affection Outside of Sexual Activity
The Importance of Physical Touch and Affection
There are many benefits you get from physical touch and affection, and you can read more about physical affection in this article.
If you want to get to the point of how to improve your Physical Affection, just skip this section.
In a nutshell, physical touch and affection are the means through which we show our partners that we care for them and are there for them. But their importance goes beyond just emotional connection. Studies have shown that physical touch and affection can also have many physiological benefits.
One of the main benefits is that physical touch can help to reduce stress. When we are touched, our bodies release oxytocin, also known as the "love hormone," which promotes calmness and relaxation. This can help lower your blood pressure and decrease stress hormone levels - cortisol.
Physical touch can also increase feelings of happiness. For example, when we touch or hug the person we love, our bodies release endorphins, natural painkillers, and mood elevators. This can help to improve overall well-being and happiness in a relationship.
Affection can also help to increase intimacy in a relationship. For example, when we touch or hug our partner, we state "I am here for you" and "I care for you" without words. These physical acts of affection help create a deeper emotional connection and strengthen the bond between two people.
It's also important to note that physical touch and affection don't have to be limited to sexual activity. Simple acts like holding hands, a hug, a pat on the back, a kiss on the forehead, cuddling, or even a friendly hand on the shoulder can also convey love and closeness.
So try to remember to touch your partner whenever you can. Now, let's find out some simple techniques that you can do to improve your physical intimacy.
Ways to Increase Physical Intimacy and AffectionNow that we understand the importance of physical touch and affection in relationships let's explore ways to increase it in your relationships with your partner.
1. Set aside dedicated time for love and affection
This sounds so obvious that you might think it is stupid, but actually, lack of dedicated time for each other is among the main reasons why couples drift apart.
In the modern world, where we have hundreds of responsibilities, it's easy to forget about our relationship needs, but it's essential to make time for physical touch.
So, on top of impulsive time together, synchronize your calendars and slot in specific times that are meant for the two of you.
It can be as small as a morning hug, a cuddle session before bed, or it can be weekly date night, or even a staycation. But it needs to focus on building your connection.
2. Incorporate physical touch and affection into your daily routineOften, couples can become so accustomed to one another that they forget to touch and be touched.
3. Show affection through non-verbal cuesYou don't always need to touch to express physical affection. For example, showing affection through non-verbal cues like a smile, a wink, or even a loving look can also help to increase intimacy.
4. Try something newMore often than not, physical affection and intimacy fall because the relationship becomes boring. We get into a routine and get too comfortable, resulting in the feeling you are not interested in one another.
5. Show physical touch and affection when you are upset or angryWhen we are upset, sad, or angry, we tend to withdraw from physical touch, and if this happens too often, we can drift apart.
6. Play an Exciting Relationship Game
7. Overcome Obstacles Hindering Your Physical IntimacyWhile physical touch and affection are essential for maintaining intimacy in a relationship, there can be obstacles that make it difficult to increase them. Here are some common obstacles and solutions for overcoming them.
- Lack of time: One of the most common obstacles to healthy physical affection is a lack of time. With busy schedules, setting aside dedicated time for physical touch and affection can be challenging. Solution: Set aside dedicated time each day, whether it be for a morning hug, a cuddle session before bed, or a weekly date night to focus on physical touch and affection.
- Feeling self-conscious: Some people may feel self-conscious about showing physical touch and affection. Solution: Start small and gradually increase the level of physical touch and affection. Take baby steps and find a comfortable level that works for both partners.
- Past traumas or experiences: Past traumas or negative experiences can make it difficult for some people to engage in physical touch and affection. Solution: Talk about past traumas or negative experiences with a therapist or counselor to work through them. It's also important to have open and honest communication with your partner about boundaries and comfort levels.
- Physical limitations: Physical limitations can make it difficult for some people to engage in physical touch and affection. Solution: Get creative and find ways to show both partners physical touch and affection that are comfortable. For example, a gentle touch on the hand or a kiss on the forehead can convey affection and intimacy.
Lack of communication: Lack of communication can make it difficult to understand each other's needs and desires for physical touch and affection. Solution: Communicate openly and honestly with your partner about your needs and desires for physical touch and affection.
Leave a comment